This is the most common level of editing and usually the most in-depth. During this level of editing, the manuscript is examined line by line.
What do I look for?
- Continuity and consistency of the plot, characters, and timelines
- Impossible moments: For example, your character has their hands full, so how are they able to pick that up?
- Basic fact-checking: This is not in-depth, but includes things like spelling of brand names or anything else that catches my eye.
- Dialogue: Does it sound natural?
- Noticeable repetitiveness of words or phrases
- Point of view consistency
- Sentence structure
- Chapter/scene breaks: Could there be a better, more engaging break?
- Grammar and punctuation
- Missing/incorrect words